Thursday, July 24, 2008

Houston, Baby!

Virginia had a Microsoft conference in Houston and invited the kids and I to spend a few days with her. Cailyn was unable to go, at the last moment, a fact that disappointed everyone. Still the other kids had a great time. I think Auburn was in her element- it took her two seconds to notice every detail of the skyline, a remarkable occurrence as she once asked me, "when did we get goats?"- uhm... over a year ago. I'm glad to note that she's not too refined just yet, she still had enough country girl in her to flop down in the grass and roll down a hill with her siblings.

They all were quite at home in the heated, rooftop pool, enjoyed the end-of-conference firework display, contemplated fine art at the Museum of Art, ate like I hadn't fed them in weeks, and played hard anywhere and everywhere they could. I did enjoy watching them like that, they don't get much opportunity these days to just play- especially the older kids with the younger ones. What an amazing group they are- kind to each other, helpful, considerate and very bonded. We are so fortunate. And Thank You Virginia for the wonderful vacation.





No comments: